Posted by / Sep 20, 2016 / No comments / , , , , , , , , ,

Finding Basantapur - Episode 1


I have procrastinated for far to long to start with my first blog post, and I have finally made up my mind on what my first post should be, and it might be random but here it goes.

Keeping in mind the recent Indra Jatra we (we being me and my best friend who is also supporting me to keep up with this blog) visited Basantapur, where it all takes place. We thought that we would be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the Jatra but we were a little too early for the one happening tomorrow and a little late too late for the one that happened yesterday.

Being the optimists that we are we then decided to stroll around Basantapur, Indrachowk and Ason to make the trip that we already made, worthwhile.

Every time I see Basantapur it reminds me of the time it used to be occupied with all the temples that are not there anymore. After the earthquake the place just looks empty and soulless.

Customized - Only for Nepal

Of the many things the earthquake left behind has been summed up by this customized sign board that greats everyone at the entrance of Basantapur. This sign signifies what is the traditional way of keeping the tilted houses and buildings upright with a wooden structure - Teki.

The rare- Bhairav
The Aakash Bhairav
Among the Bhairavs in Basantapur Durbar Square these ones are of a rare view. These Bhairav idols see the light of the day only during the period of Indra Jatra and there is always a swarm of people to get a glimpse of the idol or to worship the idol.

The hidden Gem - Janabahal
Handcrafted Details
The Dual Deity - Deity for both Hindu and Buddhist
This hidden gem of a temple lies amidst small shops along the Indrachowk to Ason alleyway. In my 27 years living here, I had never visited this particular temple and as soon as I saw it, I was mesmerized by the intricate details of it's design.
 
The Curious Child
While we were walking around the Suraj Arcade area we came across a young boy who was sitting in a shop accompanying his sister. As soon as he saw my camera he walked up-to me and asked me if he could see some picture and I gladly obliged. When I asked him if he wanted me to take a picture of him he gladly posed.

And to sum it all up and commemorate a day well spent an outfit of the day photo, courtesy Mr. Sewacharya.

Outfit of the Day - All Black, everything


Share This Post :
Tags : , , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Instagram

Sidebar Posts

Popular Posts

Facebook