Posted by / Dec 12, 2016 / No comments / , , , , , ,

Oh December!

December being the start of winter in Kathmandu is also the busiest season for weddings. And being in your late twenties means your peers start to settle down adding the responsibility of attending more weddings. 

As the Hindu tradition goes the wedding process is quite long and hectic. The wedding starts with what is called Janti, in Nepali tradition Janti is a procession where the groom with his friends and family proceed for the bride's house, accompanied by a traditional musical band while people indulge in dancing and merrymaking. Among the many married friends this was my first Janti and it was fun-filled as I had imagined.

The Janti Boys
The Janti Gang
Being the only girl in the group of school friends I always thought that I would be the first one to get married, come to realize how stereotypical I was being. Along all these years all the guys settled down where as I am still on the "finding a groom" phase of life.  

The Happy Groom
It has been almost 13 years since I have known this guy and I never realized how romantic and dreamy he could get. On the morning of the wedding when I saw his all decked up in this Dhaka Daura I realized how anxious yet over-joyed he was about the wedding. Over the years I have seen him grow and seeing him sit there as a groom taking up the responsibility as an adult, it made me feel really proud. 

The Newly Weds
Besides the happy groom there were also happy friends, we were all laughing, joking and dancing all throughout the day. Between the long continues pujas and rituals we found pleasure in teasing the newly weds, competing and bargaining with the brides side for the stolen shoes and a lot of dancing. 

Janti Boy's Dancing
Moves! 
With someone as casual as me dressing up is only when there are special occasions and what better occasion then a friend's wedding. So mustering up all my courage I prepared myself to wear heels and saree for the day. This was the first time I did all my makeup and the saree draping all by myself and trust me when I say it is quite an achievement for me. 

Saree and Heels

More of the wedding bits on the up coming post, just a mandatory selfie for now.

Mandatory Janti Selfie

Until the next wedding and until the next blog post.

To finding little adventures and making memories.

SHEY















Share This Post :
Tags : , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Instagram

Sidebar Posts

Popular Posts

Facebook